Scottish Pulmonary Vascular Unit (SPVU)
The Scottish Pulmonary Vascular Unit (SPVU) at the Golden Jubilee National Hospital provides quality care for all patients with pulmonary hypertension in Scotland.
- We investigate, treat and provide long-term follow-up for patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (from whatever cause) and chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.
- We consider referrals for patients with hypoxic lung or cardiac disease where the degree of pulmonary hypertension is out of proportion to the comorbidity.
- We provide patients with ongoing support, education and advice.
- We work closely with the UK Thromboendarterectomy Service at Papworth Hospital, Cambridge and the Heart and Lung Transplantation Unit in Newcastle.
- We have an active research programme which is currently focused on basic mechanisms using pulmonary artery cell culture, cardiac MRI and cardiovascular physiology.
- We participate in a number of clinical trials to give our patients the widest choice of treatment options.
For further information on the work of the SPVU, visit: http://www.spvu.co.uk