Scottish Pulmonary Vascular Unit (SPVU)
The Scottish Pulmonary Vascular Unit (SPVU) was founded in 1990 and was designated a national service in 1999. It has been based at the Golden Jubilee University National Hospital since 2008.
We provide quality care for all patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension and chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension in Scotland.
- We investigate, treat and provide long-term follow-up for patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (from whatever cause) and chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.
- We consider referrals for patients with hypoxic lung or cardiac disease where the degree of pulmonary hypertension is out of proportion to the comorbidity.
- We provide patients with ongoing support, education and advice.
- We have an active research programme which is currently focused on basic mechanisms using pulmonary artery cell culture, cardiac MRI and cardiovascular physiology.
- We participate in a number of clinical trials to give our patients the widest choice of treatment options.
- We work closely with the UK Thromboendarterectomy Service at Papworth Hospital, Cambridge and the Heart and Lung Transplantation Unit in Newcastle.
Contacting the Scottish Pulmonary Vascular Unit
You can contact the Scottish Pulmonary Vascular Unit in several ways.
Call: 0141 951 5497
Fax: 0141 951 5948
Scottish Pulmonary Vascular Unit
Golden Jubilee University National Hospital